However, Gov. Henrique Capriles, the opposition candidate, said that he will not attend the meetings proposed by Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro. He said that attending the meeting would make it appear like an endorsement of “repression”, given the situation of Venezuelan police and soldiers and the protesters.
According to Capriles, a peace talk will only show the world that President Maduro is “looking for diplomatic solutions” when the reality is incessantly the opposite.
Aside from Capriles, other opposition leaders, such as Leopoldo Lopez, were jailed for participating in anti-government protests. He is currently in a military jail just outside the city of Caracas and was charged with criminal incitement following a mass rally on February 12.
The Venezuelan protests had begun in February 12 aside from Lopez’s organisation. The protests spread countrywide. Authorities have ordered the suppression of such protests groups, which had left 15 people dead and 150 wounded as the protests died down in violence. No major clashes had been reported, yet opposition protesters have barricaded areas of Caracas to block traffic.
The protesters were against President Maduro for failing to curb the country’s high crime rate and his political platform that has failed to revive their economy by leading the prices to inflate above 50%, including oil, which is part of its natural resources.